At the heart of hospice are its caring volunteers. People like you who have been touched in some way by the kindness of hospice and wish to give back. People who simply want to give of themselves. While our volunteers are often family or friends of a Hospice patient, they are always people who want to help others in a time of need.
Hospice volunteers are special people who share a common bond of compassion, a commitment to excellent care and a profound respect for the choices and comfort of patients and families struggling with end-of-life issues and emotions. Our volunteers are highly trained and well prepared to provide whatever is needed and when it is needed most. Hospice volunteers become part of a family of dedicated individuals fulfilling a promise to be there.
Volunteer contributions can include:
Direct Patient Volunteer
- Sitting with a patient and listening to his or her concerns
- Reading, playing games, listening to music
- Being available so a family caregiver can have a short break
- Running errands for a patient or providing transportation
- Serving as an interpreter
- Data entry, filing
- Assisting office staff with various tasks
What We are Looking for in a Volunteer
Although volunteers with special education and training are always welcome, the main qualities we’re looking for in volunteers are compassion, dependability, commitment, and the ability to maintain confidentiality. If this is you, please join our valued volunteer team. You will make a difference in the quality of others’ lives. And, for all you give, there is so much more you will receive.
How to Become a Volunteer
These are the steps to becoming a hospice volunteer with Accredited Hospices of America:
- Completion of a comprehensive volunteer application
- In-person interview with our Coordinator of Volunteers
- Successful completion and results of the following:
- background checks
- drug tests
- TB screening
- Completion of comprehensive hospice volunteer training program
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer, please call us today at 832-408-7999 and begin the process now. Many people who volunteer in our hospice program find that it brings meaning and purpose to their lives.